Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hungry Geller

Something very odd happened last May.

No, not my son dying in the womb, at a full 40 weeks, although that was a different and devastating occurrence.

No, not my family being... um... shitty. While also odd, it wasn't completely unexplained.

No, before all these things, I inexplicably lost 20 lbs. One day while I was vainly making faces in the mirror (also not an uncommon event), I noticed that I appeared to have increased in rugged handsomeness. I hopped on the scale, and much to my fast food eating surprise, I'd dropped 20 lbs!

Not long after this, we lost Joel.

Once I regained my appetite, I found solace in food. And once we were both ready and willing to go out in public again, it was food and drink...and drink... and occasionally another drink. Honestly, it had been two or three years since I had really drank, so I'd expected my tolerance to have fallen. I have to say that fortunately, it had not (my wife may disagree with this).

As you may guess, the magical 20 lbs came right back. It was as if my psychic-belly had foreseen a need for emotional eating on the horizon. So this year, as May 26-28 lay on the horizon, I started making an effort to lose a little weight. I don't think I was consciously prepping for these dates, but I certainly felt an urge to lose a bit (not that it isn't needed anyway).

The point of this entry? I really want a pizza. A greasy, cheesy pizza that I can gorge on while working my shadow into a permanent design on the couch. Maybe some Doritos too.

Yes, Wife, I know. Pizza is on the 'no-no' list this pregnancy. Which leads to one more reason I'm excited for Blair to get here. :)

4 comments:

  1. I follow Jessica's blog and found yours through one of her recent posts. My suggestion for the pizza - room service at the hospital after Blair's born? Sounds like a good idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicci, but from the look I got tonight when I suggest pizza, I'm going to have to wait for Jess to go out of town or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping in to say "Welcome" to your Blair Owen! So very happy for all of you. I know it is bittersweet, but as time passes, more of the sweet will linger than the bitter.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, k@lakly. It's been a helluva road, and while we both know there are different places we could be, we are both celebrating that Blair is with us, and that makes for a (hopefully) everlasting sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete