Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Quest: epilogue


A little something a friend did for us.
A bright and lively reminder of our boy.


Chronicling our efforts to get back in the baby-making game both emotionally and physically (read: vasectomy reversal tag) after Joel's death. It is an odd and difficult thing processing this completely unplanned path. I've read plenty of personal accounts from other DB parents who have taken that step. No one ever regrets it (no shit. really, Sherlock?) but everyone has their own way of coming to terms with that quirky reality of "this is the child I'm having because my other child died".

I've covered all that before and I feel like I summed myself up pretty well in The Road. Personally, I felt like that post was the perfect end to The Quest, but I felt like it needed a couple more notes before we 'move on'(hence "epilogue").

First of all, as lame and superficial as it is, you've probably noticed a new layout and color scheme. Fact is, the old layout was, well, bringing me down. I felt obligated to write something quasi-deep and solemn. Okay, so maybe the blog layout wasn't really behind how I had twisted the purpose of the blog in my head, but it certainly reflected and encouraged it!

Joel certainly has some powerfully difficult memories attached to him, but pretty early on I decided that was not how I would remember him. He would be celebrated, and I would do my best to extend the joy and excitement he brought us, while, you know, still being fucking sad.

Somewhere along the way I got turned around, feeling a bit like the joy of ending our Quest was counter-intuitive to what this blog "should be": a shrine to Joel. But the gnashing of teeth, tearing of clothes and wallowing in ash Old Testament style was in no way honoring him. Life honors Joel. Love honors Joel. And in the end, I started the blog on a promise to him that I'd be productive, that I'd keep writing, for better or worse (yeah, yeah, I've already acknowledged that a blog is a real lame-ass way to "be productive", but Michaelangelo I ain't).

So, a new layout, and a little less focus on "am I accurately reflecting the shit storm that is my soul in the wake of my son's death", and, more importantly, a new baby.

Prepare for the cute.


A little hairy...and a little like Kevin Spacey (not a bad thing).



Thanks to Valarie for the pics.

5 comments:

  1. *sigh* I have no idea why the first paragraph is a link to nothing. Oh well.

    Will probably set up archives to use old layout, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blair = cutness. Congrats again.

    Side note - did you get your pizza yet? I had to ask. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.

    and I did finally get my pizza. My late Father's Day gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of Jules kissing Blair makes me cry.. such sweet little boys you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pix are great:)
    I changed the look of my space after a time as well. After, I had Cason in fact. The black background made me feel the same way. As though I wasn't allowed to write about the things that had brought color back to my life. So I added my new background, which shows vines(wine I hope) and that they grow and live on beyond where you can see.
    I think we all find out, at some point, that life keeps moving and we can either live it or die.
    So glad you chose the former:)

    ReplyDelete