Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Top Five

Over Spring Break, I built a swingset. Now, if you know my wife, you probably understand that this was not going to be your average, metal swingset that we all grew up on. Now, neither of us have a problem with the metal swingsets. In fact, I have many fond memories of playing on my friends'. I remember it like it was yesterday...

Listening to the creaking joints as my friend and I sat face to face, almost uncomfortably so, on the teeter-totter swing of doom. Rust sprinkling down on us as the motion made the two-person swing slowly work its way lower as if it were the device of choice from The Pit and the Pendulum. And lets not forget that sudden rush of fear as someone swung too high, or leaned back too far on the slide steps, bringing the whole set down like a renegade ferris wheel. Oh, and lets not forget washing the rust off my hands before heading inside.

Personally I think imminent danger is a selling point for the traditional swingset, adding an additional element of fun in the minds of every boy on the planet. Luckily, we also like big, wooden castles. So when my wife decided that we should buy a large, wooden swingset (w/ slides, platforms, and...labor), I thought, "cool." Refreshingly, she showed some concern about what kind we should buy, wondering if we should "start small", to which I replied (puffing out my chest), "go big, or go home."



I should've gone home. I worked on this thing nearly every day of my Spring Break, and still have a few small items to fix or add. Still, I'm proud of my accomplishment (the amusing story of its construction has been copyrighted by my wife, so it will be showing up at her blog).




But who is not proud of it? My neighbor.

Now maybe she didn't realize what my wife was explaining to her when it was all explained beforehand. Or maybe she just didn't think it would be as big as it is. Regardless, it is only her reaction that I really care about, and only because besides being an aggravation (and embarrassment), it's pretty damn funny.


Yes, she put up a tarp.


The BEST part of this, however, is what she did after she realized her tarp wasn't quite big enough. She replaced it with...








wait for it...












A CAMO TARP!

Actually, like 7 panels of Camo. Classy, all-American Camo.


At this point outrage has been taken over by sheer amusement at just how ridiculous this is. So what does one DO about 60 feet of Camo tarp bordering your backyard?


Well, I made a top 5 list (would go for 10, but I ran out of props)


5. Inspirational setting to pledge your love....
to Rambo: First Blood




4. BUBBA!!
...what? This doesn't scream "Forrest Gump" to you?
Just be impressed with the Pee-Wee toys.



3. "The first casualty of war
is innocence."
"Platoon" ...*sigh* I really love that movie.
Fozzy as Willem Dafoe is a stroke of genius, if you ask me.
Think what you will of my casting of Disney Characters as the Viet Cong.


2. Pretend you are on the set of M.A.S.H.
Jules studied for his part for days...



1. Film YouTube messages for your Anti-Government Militia.

Digs at the truth more than any of this other works


Yup, we're still surviving.

I'll keep ya posted on the camo developments...

1 comment:

  1. ahahaha this was great. I needed a laugh. I followed this story through Jessica's FB updates, lol.

    ReplyDelete