Saturday, July 11, 2009

Some bits of randomness

First and foremost: Thank God for Netflix streaming movies, Xbox Live letting me stream those onto my TV, and Elmo in Grouchland being available for such viewing: it has allowed me (and my wife, of course) to finally take time to be the bad American parents we've always wanted to be and plop our child in front of the television while we rest, relax, clean or, God forbid, do some things for ourselves.

You'll be happy to know, however, that I have a clear line of sight from the computer to him on his firetruck-chair in the living room (Like I'd really leave such a hellion unsupervised).

Anyway, the bits I promised:

When online, I generally reserve references to my job for stories of depravity: pregnant 7th graders, who got arrested at school, middle school 'gangs'... you know ,the fun stuff. Sure I teach in a 'rough' school, but for the most part I actually have some decent kids. I say this because I recently added a co-worker to my facebook and he, because he's a little too connected to the kids (in my humble opinion) has like 198 of them on his friends list. Anyway, some of the kids tried adding me and I felt a little bad turning them down because they are the same students who wrote cards, emails and letters when Joel died. Honestly, one of them was probably the sweetest, most-thoughtful and well-said/written piece of support I received. So test scores be damned, I'm doing something right!


I enjoy watching bats fly around in the evening as the sun sets. (told you it was random)

Yesterday, while I was getting a tan on my shoulders pouring concrete, my wife took a break from sanding our stairs (we're busying ourselves for the sake of sanity) to run out and pick up some items from the Mortuary: Thumbies and Joel's death certificate. I suppose the "death certificate" is a legal document of sorts and is supposed to be imporant, but it really doesn't hold much weight for me. Not that I'm denying its validity or anything, but to me I guess I just consider it a technicality. I have a 'certificate' with his footprints and handprints AND his name. Yes, the death certificate fails to list our son's name since, in whomever's opinion, he was not 'alive' or 'born'... Now sure, WV is one of the few states that does issue a "fetal death certificate" which I suppose does acknowledge his life in some form (although it SHOULD have a place for his name), but somehow I just get the feeling that they originated these certificates in regard to the pro-life/pro-choice debate and thought nothing of how it affects this tragic community we've been inducted in to. Letter writing campaign anyone?

*big sigh* Aside from that, the Thumbies are nice. We got two: one is of Joel's handprint, one of his footprint. Normally they are of finger (or thumb) prints, but since babie's are so small, they go with the whole foot/hand. They are nice; we also got his birthstone on the charm. Of course, they aren't just for remembering someone (it's just that the mortuary is where we heard about them), so eventually we'll be sending some of Jules' prints and having Thumbies made for him too since they are so sweet. Now my cynical side did think, for a second, that this could be a sham, but it seems legit enough, and in this case, even if it isn't, I don't want to know cause I'm already fond of them. :)

Did you know the Ahmish make (and sell) donuts? and did you know that they're AWESOME?!

Speaking of Jules (no, he isn't Ahmish...or a donut) he had a big "first" today. Well, maybe it was a bigger first for ME than it was for him, but I still got a picture to document the occassion.

( I think taking the picture was also a first for the lady working the counter...)



His first trip to a COMIC SHOP!!



No, I didn't buy everything laid out on the counter there. For whatever reason that is where she puts all the new books. Keep in mind that this isn't my 'usual' store, although my regular trips ended about the same time Jules was born because, well, you can't take a baby into a comic book store that is set up like a giant fire hazard, which is how they are meant to be, not all neat and organized like the joint pictured here. You should feel like you are in some guy's basement...in a good way.

Anyway, he looks happy, doesn't he? (say yes)

1 comment:

  1. He does look happy.

    Wait, are we talking about you or the kid?

    ReplyDelete